Friday, January 23, 2009

friday: from the pages of

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger*

"What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it."

In my world, it would be a chat over tea, not a telephone call on a black rotary phone.

It is reading Maps and Legends Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands by Michael Chabon that has me thinking about that quotation and about how I Heart McSweeney's Books. That is one awesome book design! So while I am making Imaginary Tea Party guest lists, I'll say Uncredited Book Editor, Uncredited Book Designer** and Jordan Crane, cover illustrator, please come, too. I'll make scones from scratch.


*I know you you know this one but just in case Mr. Salinger is running Google Alerts.
**Or was the triplicate book jacket and case dye art all Mr. Crane's idea? Nancy Drew time. Stay tuned.